Unexpected Pleasures

My final college tour trip with my daughter last week went smoothly. I left my summer school job on time and less than an hour later we were parking at the airport. The flight was on time and the hotel was easy to find. My daughter's interview at the first college went well and she was pleasantly surprised by how much she liked the campus. She admitted to me that she is "a sucker for a quad" (so am I!) and this lovely institution has two of them. After lunch on campus, we wandered up the road to a small shopping center and found these fat halves in a quilt shop. They had more of the Amy Butler fabrics my daughter loves so we got some yardage to make a quilt for her. I does amaze me that she loves bright, bold prints since I fall in love with nearly every piece of fabric in an autumn color and/or a small print.

Day 2 of this trip was a little less successful as neither of us were wowed by the second college we visited. We had high hopes as it sounded great on paper and during the information session we attended near our home last winter, but it just didn't grab us and the fact that it was in an extremely small town didn't help.

Besides learning how to use my I-touch better (see previous post), the other unexpected pleasure on this trip was reading the book Loving Frank by Nancy Hoban. A friend loaned it to me several months ago after her book club read it. I didn't think it was my kind of book, but I gave it a try on the plane and I couldn't put it down. The story is a fictionalized version of the love affair Frank Lloyd Wright had for several years. Beyond that, it's a commentary on what women's lives were like at the beginning of the 20th century. I didn't always agree with the main character's choices, but I did like her and couldn't wait to see what happened.

Comments

  1. WHOOOO - lovely fabrics Susan! What a lucky surprise to find a quilt shop on your college tour with DD.

    I have an Iphone and I wanted to learn how to download the books but haven't had time to mess with it yet - apparently you have to have ITunes account - or maybe I'm getting confused about downloading the music - AACCCKKK - see - I need to just stitch and forget the techy stuff! LOL - have fun! Mel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For the Good Times

WIP Wednesday

Happy Birthday, Winter Baby