Still Alice


My mother had Alzheimer's. This is a horrible disease that took her away from us bit by bit and made us mourn her well before she passed away two years ago.
So it was with both curiosity and fear that I got the audiobook, Still Alice by Lisa Genovese, from my library. It's a novel about Alice, a Harvard professor of psychology, who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's at the age of 50. It is perhaps the saddest, and oddly, the most hopeful book, I've ever read. It's sad because of the way the disease progresses and because of the way it changes her relationship with her husband (although I couldn't decide if it just highlights what was already lacking in their marriage). I found it hopeful and reassuring that some of what made Alice unique was still there and cherished by her family even when she began to forget them. The fear in getting the book is probably something that every child of a person with Alzheimer's has--does forgetting some trivial detail or someone's name mean I have the disease? (Thankfully, I can still do all of the neurological tasks described in the book, so I can put that fear to rest for awhile, I think.) I hope you'll take the time to read this wonderful book and get to know Alice too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Good Times

WIP Wednesday

Happy Birthday, Winter Baby