Let the Games Begin


I am so not a sports fan. I think baseball is boring, and don't even get me started on the salaries of professional football and basketball players. But I grew up in Nebraska in the late 60's and early 70's when the University of Nebraska had powerhouse football teams. In fact, they won the national championship during my senior year of high school. Richard Nixon came to Lincoln to present the trophy. The entire student body of the high school in my very small town gathered in the gym to watch the live broadcast of this event. (Do you think this was educational or was it just because the male teachers wanted to see it?) President Nixon came to the podium but his opening remarks were drowned out by nearly everyone in the high school pointing and saying "There's Mark ___." when we spotted a former student in the band seated right behind Nixon.
OK, so I've always been a closet college football fan and haphazardly followed Big Red over the years. Then my oldest son went to the U, as the Hurricanes call themselves. He's a big sports fan (mostly baseball--go figure) and worked as a sports announcer for the University of Miami radio station. He broadcast several football games over his four years and thanks to the miracle of live streaming, we were able to listen to his broadcasts. I became a Miami fan. When we had our family room renovated, we (OK, my husband) put in a flat screen TV. The project was taking way too long and finally, I gave an ultimatum to the contractor. The UM/Boston College game was being played on Thanksgiving that year and I told him I wanted to sit on that couch and watch the game on that TV. We watched the game in the family room (and UM won).
Another season begins tonight with Miami playing Florida State. I'll be working on the borders of my Keep Me Sampler and cheering the team on. GO CANES!!!

Comments

  1. I'm not a big sports fan either, but when the boys have to stuff themselves full of football all weekend, it gives me great stitching time! We're Michigan fans here, but it doesn't matter what game is on - the boys are sitting in front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say to you earlier, that those stitched flowers look awesome! You can stitch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For the Good Times

WIP Wednesday

Happy Birthday, Winter Baby