I'm introducing what I hope will be a fairly regular feature of this blog, the Friday Finish.
Here's a recent quilting finish, a project for my "Scrap Club" class. We focused on applique for a few months and used a book that had lovely patterns for "toppers" for quilts and banners. For once, I decided to start much smaller and made a placemat. All the pieces were done with double-sided fusible interfacing even though we were encouragd to do at least one piece with freezer paper. I felt it was better to stick with one method at a time! I used my machine to stitch a blanket stitch around all of the pieces except the "string" on the balloon (which is in kind of a weird position, but I can live with it). The string is zig-zagged. I drew some stars on the background to add extra quilting there. I had hoped to finish this one in time for my husband's big birthday, but missed that deadline. I also missed my birthday. Looks like me daughter will be the one to usher in our new tradition of using a birthday placemat.
I've been Kate's blog for some time and especially enjoy her posts about her OMG or One Monthly Goal. This is hosted by Patty at Elm Street Quilts in order to encourage quilters to focus on one project that can be completed within a month. That sounded like a great way for me to turn some UFOs into finished items, and I'm glad it's starting up again for 2017.
We did some home improvements last summer with painting and new flooring in the three bedrooms that our children had used. Since they're all gone and not likely to be living at home again, we turned one of the rooms into my sewing room. Wonderful, except that the furniture was placed back in the rooms an hour before I had to go to the airport to pick up my sister who came to help when I had the rotator cuff repair. One of the craft related things I could do during the first two months after surgery was sort through my stash. I organized all my fabrics by color and found a few forgotten projects. One of…
Jackie posted about cleaning out her stitching bag so she can get ready for retreat this weekend. I'm going to the same retreat, and thought I had better clean out my bag as well. Here are the contents:
Not too bad since this is the bag I use each week for an afternoon of stitching with friends. But take a look at that small owl on top of the green pouch. It's from a kit to teach how to stitch on linen that I bought several decades ago from a shop that has long since closed. It's all stitched, so what is it doing in my bag? It is now in the "to be finished" pile and won't be going on retreat!
The rest of the things are much more current and more or less in progress and some are going back in the bag. The kit from the Lauren Sauer class I took with the duClay EGA last fall is there and some of the ladies are going to be stitching on it again this weekend. I'm a little obsessed with Ann Smith right now and that's in the large clear bag under the…
It's time to set One Monthly Goal and link up with Elm Street Quilts. This time, I chose a new start as my focus for the month. I joined a group that meets at my local quilt shop the last Thursday of each month. It turns out that nearly everyone in the class is also in my quilt guild so that makes it even more fun. The group has been meeting for about three years and the focus is making small quilts from the book 101 Fabulous Small Quilts (That Patchwork Place). They decide on a quilt and spend two months making it. For January and February, the quilt is Leaf Chain. I love the autumn colors and I was able to find all but one of the fabrics for it in my stash. My goal is to have the quilt top pieced this month. So far, I've completed one block (only need 8 of these)
and half of another (also need 8 of these)
so I'm confident I'll accomplish this goal. I'm still not too sure about that green square, but I think it will be OK with the border fabric. If not…