Counting the Hours

By my calculation, I have 37.5 more hours left in my working life.  That's right--five days from now I will be retired.  I've been quite surprised by the range of emotions that have arisen during the final months of my career.  I love being a speech therapist and that's been a huge part of my identity forthe past 34 years.  So, as much as I'm looking forward to having time to read, quilt and stitch (not to mention getting my house much cleaner and decluttered), I find that I'm sad as well.  I will definitely miss the students but I'm happy that the meetings and paperwork will be a thing of the past. 

Blog posts have gone by the wayside the last two months as I've been preparing for this transition by spending long hours on the aforementioned paperwork  and meetings.  I managed to finish 40 hourglass blocks like these
 
 that will be sewn to sashing like this

to make a quilt for my daughter.  She goes to a college whose colors are red, white and blue, but I wanted to make something in those colors that didn't look patriotic.  I'm hoping to do the layout next weekend, as this week is filled with a retirement dinner for one of my principals, a celebration with the other speech therapists in my school district and our district's high school graduation.  Looks like each and every one of my last work hours is going to fly by!

Comments

  1. The quilt is going to be a beauty. Congrats to you and having only 37.5 hours left to work. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your retirement! Can't wait to join in a few years... enjoy your last week. Happy stitching and quilting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your last week Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the last week! (I am reading in chronological order, so that's why these messages may seem odd.)

      Delete
  4. I hope your last week of work is sweet and wonderful and that your retirement is joyful and happy! Love that quilt you're making for your daughter. The colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The day I'm down to my last week, you will hear all the way from North Carolina!!!!! I have 4 yes...sigh.... But I'm getting there!! I enjoy your blog and the wonderful goodies you create :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck to you in your final week. I remember having those same feelings when I made the decision a little over a year ago.

    I cannot wait to see your non-patriotic red, white, and blue quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan - I am so happy for you that you did make the decision to retire. I can imagine you would have mixed emotions about it but I think once you get thru the process and all the red tape - you will settle right in and just love it. After all - you deserve it right? Give any more thought to coming back to Jax for our Sept class ? take care - chin up and face to the wind - YGG - love Mel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking of you and thinking that you must be working your last days. I hear retirement is busier than ever (so the super clean house might not happen) but busy with exactly what you want to do. It's an exciting time!

    Your daughters quilt blocks look great and I definitely think you're going to pull off the red, white and blue theme without being patriotic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with retirement. So far for my parents it seems like being in college without the homework! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For the Good Times

WIP Wednesday

Happy Birthday, Winter Baby