Here's one of the quilts I took to the long-armer last summer. As yet, it has no name. This quilt was one of the projects from my monthly "scrap club" and I did indeed use some of the black and white prints in my stash. The block is made with an X-block ruler. In the case of this pattern, I made a nine patch and then placed the ruler so that the outside patches would be cut at an angle. Those pieces were used in the border. The whole time I was making the blocks, I thought about how to put a little color in the quilt. My choices were running to lime green or yellow as I don't tend to like the red/black/white quilts I've seen. Then I spotted this perfect red and black print and it all came together. Good thing, as I wasn't loving this quilt in its pre-border stage. Now it's a family favorite. It resides on the back of our couch and each of the kids tried to make off with it when they were home for Thanksgiving. And don't you think the long-armer used the perfect quilting pattern?
Jackie posted about cleaning out her stitching bag so she can get ready for retreat this weekend. I'm going to the same retreat, and thought I had better clean out my bag as well. Here are the contents:
Not too bad since this is the bag I use each week for an afternoon of stitching with friends. But take a look at that small owl on top of the green pouch. It's from a kit to teach how to stitch on linen that I bought several decades ago from a shop that has long since closed. It's all stitched, so what is it doing in my bag? It is now in the "to be finished" pile and won't be going on retreat!
The rest of the things are much more current and more or less in progress and some are going back in the bag. The kit from the Lauren Sauer class I took with the duClay EGA last fall is there and some of the ladies are going to be stitching on it again this weekend. I'm a little obsessed with Ann Smith right now and that's in the large clear bag under the…
I'm participating in year long challenges with both the duClay EGA chapter in Jacksonville, FL and my local guild, Delaware Valley Historic Sampler Guild (dvhsg.org). The challenges are similar since both allowed participants to choose up to a specified number of pieces to focus on during the year, and prizes may be awarded for completion.
Delaware Inspiration from Heart's Ease Examplar Workes is my main focus piece this year. Here's where I was a week ago. Notice the vines and leaves on the upper right? They have been ripped out and re-stitched twice, both times because I was off by one vertical thread.
The frogs have been banished from my house and this is where I was as of last night. I'm using the Belle Soie silks called for in the chart, and the colors are amazing.
I've been Kate's blog for some time and especially enjoy her posts about her OMG or One Monthly Goal. This is hosted by Patty at Elm Street Quilts in order to encourage quilters to focus on one project that can be completed within a month. That sounded like a great way for me to turn some UFOs into finished items, and I'm glad it's starting up again for 2017.
We did some home improvements last summer with painting and new flooring in the three bedrooms that our children had used. Since they're all gone and not likely to be living at home again, we turned one of the rooms into my sewing room. Wonderful, except that the furniture was placed back in the rooms an hour before I had to go to the airport to pick up my sister who came to help when I had the rotator cuff repair. One of the craft related things I could do during the first two months after surgery was sort through my stash. I organized all my fabrics by color and found a few forgotten projects. One of…