One Step At a Time

My new sewing room furniture was delivered last Monday afternoon.  I was itching to get everything back into the room and organized, but we left Tuesday morning for a quick trip to see our daughter in upstate New York.  We got home late Thursday and I was booked on Friday.  So the room is not quite ready for pictures, but it's slowly coming together.

While we were in New York, we took a trip to Glens Falls to see the Hyde Museum.  The most interesting part to us was the former home of Louis Hyde and his wife.  They were art collectors who had a Rembrandt hanging in the library and Renoirs in the bedrooms.  I was delighted to see this embroidered panel from Germany in the 19th century.  It was done with silk and metallic threads on linen.
The day was capped off with a concert by the fabulous Philadelphia Orchestra and fireworks at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs.

One of the things that I discovered when putting things away in my sewing room is that I have a LOT of scraps.  I really need to make something with them or make the decision to let them go.  For now, I'm cutting them into the sizes I generally use and thinking about what to do with them.

I also realized that I need to whittle down the number of UFOs to feel more productive (and frankly, to create more space on the shelves).  That helped me to choose my goal for August.  I'm going to continue working on the Sand and Surf block of the month and bring it to a finished top.  The sashing, cornerstones and borders need to be done, but I'm committed to getting them completed one step at a time.  The colors in this quilt are so great for summer, so that should help keep me motivated.


I'm linking up with elmstreetquilts.blogspot.com.  It's always fun to check out what others are hoping to accomplish this month.


Comments

  1. Cheering you on with your August goal! What a pretty quilt you will be working on! It sounded like you had a good trip to see your daughter. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you made progress on putting you sewing room together with your new furniture. I'm sure it will be a wonderful and productive space. Hang in there - one day at a time. Cheers Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun trip! Hope you have fun putting your sewing room together. I'm feeling the same way about all my stash and stuff. Have to whittle things down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt pattern. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For the Good Times

WIP Wednesday

Happy Birthday, Winter Baby