When I went to the quilt show at Oaks, PA in September, I was able to do a tour of the vendors on Saturday and make notes about things I might want to purchase. One of the things that caught my eye was a cute wall hanging with snowmen. The same wall hanging had caught my eye at the show last year, except that it was done with pumpkins. I bought the pattern and the fat quarters then and of course, let it sit in my stash. The reason was the mitered corner. I just didn't have confidence in my ability to piece it. I really liked those snowmen but I wasn't going to buy them unless I could make the block. I had some time on Sunday morning before I went back to the show so I did a mock-up with muslin and the piecing went fairly well. I learned from my trial that I would have done a better job if I had marked where to stop sewing on the side strips. I did that with the real block yesterday and got a perfect miter. I was so happy with how my block turned out that I made four more of them after I took this photo. Honestly, the hardest part was fussy cutting the fabric to get the pumpkin (more or less) centered. As Sandy says, sometimes you just have to get over yourself and do it! (And yes, I did buy the snowmen fat quarters).
Jackie posted about cleaning out her stitching bag so she can get ready for retreat this weekend. I'm going to the same retreat, and thought I had better clean out my bag as well. Here are the contents:
Not too bad since this is the bag I use each week for an afternoon of stitching with friends. But take a look at that small owl on top of the green pouch. It's from a kit to teach how to stitch on linen that I bought several decades ago from a shop that has long since closed. It's all stitched, so what is it doing in my bag? It is now in the "to be finished" pile and won't be going on retreat!
The rest of the things are much more current and more or less in progress and some are going back in the bag. The kit from the Lauren Sauer class I took with the duClay EGA last fall is there and some of the ladies are going to be stitching on it again this weekend. I'm a little obsessed with Ann Smith right now and that's in the large clear bag under the…
I'm participating in year long challenges with both the duClay EGA chapter in Jacksonville, FL and my local guild, Delaware Valley Historic Sampler Guild (dvhsg.org). The challenges are similar since both allowed participants to choose up to a specified number of pieces to focus on during the year, and prizes may be awarded for completion.
Delaware Inspiration from Heart's Ease Examplar Workes is my main focus piece this year. Here's where I was a week ago. Notice the vines and leaves on the upper right? They have been ripped out and re-stitched twice, both times because I was off by one vertical thread.
The frogs have been banished from my house and this is where I was as of last night. I'm using the Belle Soie silks called for in the chart, and the colors are amazing.
I've been Kate's blog for some time and especially enjoy her posts about her OMG or One Monthly Goal. This is hosted by Patty at Elm Street Quilts in order to encourage quilters to focus on one project that can be completed within a month. That sounded like a great way for me to turn some UFOs into finished items, and I'm glad it's starting up again for 2017.
We did some home improvements last summer with painting and new flooring in the three bedrooms that our children had used. Since they're all gone and not likely to be living at home again, we turned one of the rooms into my sewing room. Wonderful, except that the furniture was placed back in the rooms an hour before I had to go to the airport to pick up my sister who came to help when I had the rotator cuff repair. One of the craft related things I could do during the first two months after surgery was sort through my stash. I organized all my fabrics by color and found a few forgotten projects. One of…