Thursday, August 28, 2014

Making Progress

Wow, less than two months between posts from me--shocking, I know!  It's been a great summer with lots of gorgeous days and cool nights.  We have wonderful memories from our trip to Germany and Vienna at the end of June although it took me quite a bit of July to get back into a routine.  I've been doing a little bit of quilting and little bit of stitching most days along with a lot of reading.  In my stitching life, I've been focusing on one project, Carriage House Samplings Alphabet, and here's my progress to date.
 I'm hoping for a finish in the next two weeks so I can show this off at my guild meeting. 


 
On the quilting front, I putting together these blocks for a lap-size quilt.  (They are laid out on my "design floor" as I call the ugly green carpet in my basement and are not outside on the grass!)
The blocks were all made last year and then got put aside for another project.  Toes in the Sand has about half the binding sewn on, and I'm planning to do the rest during the Univ. of Miami/Louisville game on Monday night (Go Canes!).  I also spent some time this week making proJaject bags.  My first one is slightly wonky, so it will be mine.  I learned from my mistakes and managed to make the fabric panel straighter on the second one which will be a gift for a friend.   Also managed not to sew the zipper on the wrong way on the second one and remembered to check to see that it was OK before I top-stitched.  The second one took me less than an hour and cost around $8-9.  Since my LNS sells similar ones for $25-30, I'm glad I took the plunge and learned how to do this.  Thanks again to Jackie for telling me about ZipIt, a good source for lower-priced zippers on Etsy.
 
 
Nothing too earth-shattering here and the kids are all fine.  Hope all of you are doing well, too.
 
 

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

More Finishes!

It seems I've been on a bit of a roll with finishes the past month or so, and have one finished quilt as well as two completed needlework pieces to show for my efforts.

Here's the front
 

and back of a baby quilt I sent up to my daughter to give to her boss and his wife who had a baby in June.  The top was done a few years ago and is a Schnibbles pattern made from a charm pack.  I originally made it for my nephew's baby.  When I got it done, I thought it looked more like a "boy" quilt and my nephew and his wife had a little girl.  So the top has been waiting in the wings and after an afternoon sandwiching the quilt and doing simple "stitch in the ditch" quilting, it went off to keep little Charlie warm.  The parents live on a farm so this was the perfect quilt.

Harvest Time by Laura J. Perin was an on-line class in counted canvas work.  A three-week class way back in November, 2012...  I don't know why it took me so long to finish this one as it was fun!  Loved doing the grapes in the center (which look more red that they really are in this photo) as well as the borders.  This will be framed and hung in my kitchen.

And last, I finally finished this small piece done over one.
This was a project done at a sampler guild meeting several years ago and meant to be finished as a pin.  I'm probably going to make it into a scissors fob.

Oh, and I finished the "Toes in the Sand" quilt top and have it back from the longarmer.  When the binding is sewn on, I'll post a picture.  I'm diligently stitching on Carriage House Samplers Alphabet and have finished up to 'P,' so hopefully, there will be one more finish this summer.