Friday, July 29, 2011

A Small Update

It's been a few weeks since I've posted and there is absolutely no reason for that except that I am having the laziest summer on record. As you know, I was thrown for a loop with my change in job assignment in the past year. My husband and I took full advantage of being empty nesters and filled our weekends with activities and short trips. It was a busy year. So I've been happy to stay close to home this summer and recover. I've been reading a lot, doing some heavy cleaning and ruthless decluttering along with some stitching and lots of quilting.


I've taken the time to do some experimenting with a ruler to make flying geese (Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper--no affiliation, just the ruler I chose to buy at a quilt show). These geese finished at 1x1.5" and were made from scraps from a project that is nearly pieced. I'll be taking a class in the fall that has flying geese in the pattern so I wanted to be sure I remembered how to use the ruler.

These small squares were made from the scraps from a jelly roll quilt that I will show you in the near future. They'll finish at 1" and I'm thinking they might be used to make a cute mug rug or perhaps be incorporated into one of the coin purse patterns I've been wanting to try. We'll see. After all, it's not even August which means I have four more weeks with nothing but time on my hands.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sew Productive

Last week, the friend who got me started on quilting suggested that we get together. Usually, we meet for breakfast or go on a shopping expedition. This time she came over to my house and we spent the day sewing. I worked on blocks for my Shoo Fly quilt and have them all completed. Just have to work on the layout and sew them together.

My friend and I set up our machines at my kitchen table, but I didn't want to move my ironing board up from my laundry room/sewing area. A glance at the sewing area was enough to make me do a clean-up! While I was at it, I decided to finish off two quilt tops.


This one was made from an All About Color jelly roll. As I mentioned in another post, I'm trying to learn something from each quilt. From this one, I learned to read the directions and then read them again. A local quilt shop had made this quilt and I was so excited to get their last jelly roll so I could make it also. I sewed combinations of three strips and then started cutting. Except that I had used a half inch seam and cut 6" block instead of 6.5" blocks. Fortunately, I caught my error after only one strip set. I debated continuing on with 6" blocks, but decided to rip and look for more fabric to replace the ones cut incorrectly. I got the center together and then this quilt became a UFO. All it needed was three borders and those took me about two hours to attach. Don't know why I let it sit for so long.
This top is made with the "Take Five" pattern. I learned from this quilt to label the fabrics for their intended use (border/back/binding) when I get home from the store as I had excess yardage and wasn't sure what I had originally intended. Another top that had the blocks pieced and only needed two borders to finish. Maybe I'm also learning that borders are not my favorite part of quilting.